The beautiful, fully restored 1919 Ahrens-Fox owned by the Gladhill family is now “in service” at the Frederick County Fire & Rescue Museum, 300B South Seton Avenue in Emmitsburg. The engine was originally purchased by the city of Frederick for the United Steam Fire Engine Co. No. 3 and remained in service until the 1950’s. According the Maurice Gladhill, son of Bernard “Buck” Gladhill, his father purchased the engine around 1954 for $501. Mr. Gladhill advised his dad outbid Gastley Junk Company by $1 to get the engine. “Gastley bid $500 for the engine and dad but $501, $1 saved the Fox from the junk yard.” According to Mr. Gladhill, two other “Foxes”, the 1927 ladder truck and a Juniors engine met their fate at Gastley’s.
Also new at the museum is the original water motor gong that was on the old Ox Fiber Brush Company building that was destroyed by fire when being used by Goodwill in the 1980's. The beautiful bell was donated by the late Richard Yinger, past president of the Maryland late Firemen's Association and Citizens Truck Company as well as a retired paid driver from Co. 4. The bell has has been restored by museum member "Doc" Kinney. Also, an early Sanborn Map and other insurance related items have been donated by Phil and Mary Lou Smullen.
The Frederick County Fire and Rescue Museum is very appreciative to Mr. Maurice Gladhill and the Gladhill family for allowing this magnificent piece of fire service history to be displayed at the museum. The museum is open Saturday and Sunday from 12noon – 4PM. The museum will be closed on August 19 during the muster at Ro*